My latest Love The Day tip & trick involves how to create the perfect lemon zest frosting. The secret is to not only use the juice of an actual lemon (bypass the pre-made lemon juice and go straight to the source), but you HAVE to use the zest of the rind as well. It provides the perfect amount of lemon and punch!
- 2 cups shortening
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
- 6 fluid ounces heavy cream
- Juice from one lemon and 1 Tablespoon zest from the rind.
- Cream shortening until fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary (up to 2 ounces). Beat at high speed until frosting is firm.